Stuffed rice rolls😋 (Fan Tuan ‘飯糰’)
• • • • • •
🥑🍅 Follow @theveganstips
Recipe (makes 4 rolls)
– 3-4 cups cooked sushi rice (or use sticky/short grain/black rice)
– 7oz (200g) firm tofu – drained, pressed & mashed
– 1 cup (140g) chopped Gailan stems (or use kale/broccoli/sautéed vegetables)
– 1 piece YouTiao (or use fried wonton skins, croutons, saltine crackers)
– 1/2 cup (80g) salted preserved dried radish (or use pickles/relish)
– 1/2 cup finely shredded purple cabbage (or use vegetables of choice)
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari
– a drizzle of dark soy sauce for color (optional)
– toasted sesame seeds
– oil for cooking, salt to taste
✅To prepare the salted preserved radish, soak them in cold water for 30 mins, then rinse. Sauté them in a pan with some oil for 1 min, season with 1/2 teaspoon sugar (omit if using sweetened dried radish/skip this step if using pickles)
✅To make the tofu, heat a non-stick pan with 3 teaspoons oil, sauté mashed tofu until golden brown & season with soy sauce. Set aside. Using the same pan, sauté Gailan stems until fully cooked through & season with salt. Set aside.
✅Cut YouTiao into 3-inch long & bake at 350F until crispy, about 5-8 mins.
To make the stuffed rice rolls, sprinkle sesame seeds on a wrapped sushi mat/cloth & place about 1 cup of rice in the middle of the surface. Using a spatula, flatten it out into a thin layer (if using your hands, be sure to wet your hands to prevent the rice from sticking to them). Add a heaping spoon of tofu, then top with YouTiao, Gailan stems & preserved radish.
✅To wrap, bring both sides of the rice to the middle & press to seal by keeping the fillings intact. (think of how you wrap a candy) Then, twist both ends several times so the rice roll is packed like a log. Tip: Transfer roll to a wrap, tighten & keep it wrapped while cutting or serving😊